• youtube
  • google

Weaver’s Needle – Superstition Mountains – Az

After the past trip into the Superstition Mountains, I’ve realized they can’t all be Type Two Fun.  This one was pretty much type one all the way.  Everything seemed to go as planned, with no crazy shifts in the weather or gear malfunctions.  I think we even remembered most everything, which is somewhat shocking.  With my pack weighing in at 32lbs for an overniter, what could I have possibly forgotten?  Because a third of my pack weight was water (that’s how we roll in the desert), it was heavy, but not the heaviest.  Rob weighed in with a 47 pounder!  Dude, we’re gonna be gone less than 24 hrs!  More on that a bit later.

We’ve hiked this route several times and usually stop at Fremont Saddle.  Once we actually climbed Weaver’s Needle and camped out on top… and nearly died.  Check out the trip report here.  But this trip is special for me because I’m taking my boy, Connor, with me.  While he has been camping many times, this will be his first backpacking trip.  I know, shame on me, I feel horrible about it, but better late than never.  With water, Connor’s pack came in at 23 lbs which is a pretty heavy pack for an 80 pound kid.

Our crew started out at the Peralta Trail TH about mid afternoon.  Goal was to make it to the Pinion camp site before dark, as we did not have the GPS coordinates but had a general idea of its location.  Other than the weather being a bit on the warm side, the hike up the valley was beautiful, and we made only the occasional stop in the shade.  Because it was so hot, we constantly reminded each other to keep drinking.  We started out pretty late in the day, so we only passed a few people coming down the trail. 

We stopped for a break at the cave that looks over the valley from where we’d come.  Refueled with some quick snacks, we topped out at Fremont Saddle shortly after.  I love the view of the needle from there as it looks so rugged and extreme.  After a few minutes of taking in the desert views, we set off.  We always seem to have difficulties finding the trail down.  Take the trail to the west and expect to quickly switchback to the east.  The trail is well defined once you are on it.  After about 30 minutes of easy downhill hiking, we rolled into Pinion camp.

The sun hadn’t quite set and we all picked out the perfect spots for our respective tents.  Some spots were more perfect than others.  I try to get as level as possible and furthest away from known snorers.  We succeeded, and with such an amazing view of Weaver’s Needle in the back ground, there was little to complain about. 

Pinion camp seemed to have about 5-6 decent spots for small tents with one main fire-ring and 1 or 2 smaller ones.   We gathered a few sticks for a small fire to gather around during dinner.  Being in the desert at a popular spot, the firewood pickings were slim as expected.  Now, apparently my good friend Rob is not into lightweight backpacking, in fact just the opposite.  This guy actually brought a 5 lbs DuraFlame log!!!  Who brings fake wood camping?!?!?!  Not just camping but backpacking!  We had a good laugh and gave him a hard time, but truth be told, it made for a nice fire that lasted well into the night.  Thanks, Rob!  Just don’t tell anyone. 

Why does dinner taste so good around a campfire?  I don’t think it’s actually the food, as I have never craved freeze-dried cardboard loaded with sodium when at home.  But for some reason after a good hike and sitting next to a campfire with good company, it’s the best thing ever!  We all had Mountain House freeze-dried meals that are super light, but require water, and water is heavy.  I boiled water for everyone with my JetBoil. 

I love that little stove.  It boils 2 cups of water in about 2 minutes and is so easy to set up, clean up and pack up.  It worked great except that the igniter broke, and I had to light it with my lighter.  I guess it’s time to put REI to the test on their return policy.  I had the Mac and Cheese and gave Connor the chicken and mashed potatoes (my favorite).  Apparently it was pretty good, as we scraped the bags clean even though there were two servings.  Dessert was suppose to be Double Chocolate Cheesecake but ended up like pudding, which was good enough for us as we polished it off as well.

Sitting around the campfire after a good meal is one of my favorite things in the whole world.  The moon was pretty brigh,t and you could actually see the outline of the needle and the surrounding rock formations.  We reminisced about other trips we’d done and chatted about future ones.  I was able to scare Rob with the ol’ growling water bottle trick.  The funny thing was, we had just told the story 10 minutes before about scaring Leo when hiking through the Bear Tooths.  Good times!

We retreated to our tents around 10:30 and went to bed.  Connor slept like a rock, as I expected he would after the hike with a heavy pack and now a full belly.  I wish I could sleep like that.  Unfortunately, I’m still struggling with my Big Agnes sleeping bag, and I tend to sweat on top and freeze on the bottom. The temperature only dropped into the mid 50’s, really nice actually.  Other than that, the night was quiet until morning when I was awaken by something eating grass and running around my tent.  Pretty sure it was a rabbit or two, and it was time to get up and get going anyway.

After a breakfast of instant oatmeal and Mountain House “Breakfast Skillet” (good stuff), we packed up and headed out.  We stopped for a quick break and a few photos at Fremont Saddle.  There were a lot people there compared to the afternoon before.  The trip down was very fas,t and we made good time even with the streams of people on the trail.  It was amazing how you could wake up feeling like you were out in the middle of nowhere and within 1 hour be surrounded by 30 people.

We made it back to the trailhead (a bit faster than I expected) and signed our group out at the log book.  I remember thinking that this was one of the smoothest trips I had been on.  Definitely not a Type Two Fun trip, but a fun one just the same.  Heck, we even had a fake fire!  These are the kinds of trips that blur into oblivion after time because nothing crazy happened to set it apart.  The one thing that I will remember from this trip is being with my son on his first backpack trip.  He did great and I am so proud of him and look forward to many more adventures in the future.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *